Saturday, May 10, 2008

Ty Patterson Scholarship Fundraiser

This afternoon, we had an opportunity to participate in a fundraising event. Last year, Ty Patterson was killed in the line of duty while he was serving as a Game Warden. One of his fellow Game Wardens decided to create a scholarship in his memory. Somehow Uncle Mitch got word of the fundraiser and volunteered our church to serve the food. When he asked for us to volunteer, I immediately committed to be there. Ty was an extraordinary young man and I knew that I wanted to participate. Billy served also. This morning, I was telling Cheney what we were doing and who Ty was. He was very impressed by his story and told me "Mom, he was a real hero if he gave his life to save other people." He willingly joined the serving line....in fact we had to force him to leave.


Cheney was the breadman...

The assembly line


Cheney soon decided that he wanted to work the "To Go" line because he got to talk to people. It was so funny to see Mr. Morris and all the kids working together.

Cheney wanted to meet Ty's brother, Joe. Joe was very impressed by Cheney's willingness to serve.



Mrs. Patterson brought tears to my eyes. She was so happy to give Cheney a hug....she said that she misses hugs from her little boy!! She was thankful for Cheney!!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

My sister works for the Texas Parks and Wildlife Dept and knew Ty. I told her about your blog entry!! Cheney, it was so nice of you to volunteer for such a worthy cause!!

Anonymous said...

Cheney, you did a great thing today. Ty was such a great person and we miss him everyday. I know you put a smile on his face.

MeMe said...

Awesome,Cheney. MeMe and Pop are so proud of you. I wish that all children would learn the value of serving others. Thanks for being my role model.
MeMe

C and C Mommy said...

Wow!! It is small world!! Leanne and I went to college together!! Ty sure did touch many people's lives all over the state of TEXAS!!

Gram said...

Cheney, it was so great seeing you and other children from our church working so hard in the heat to serve other people. One day you will understand the value your parents are teaching you about giving to other people.