Friday, August 22, 2008

Meet The 1st Grader

Last year, we attended our first Meet The Teacher. I think I was more nervous than Cheney--I just didn't want my baby to grow up & go to school. He had an awesome year & is so ready for 1st grade. Tonight, we got to officially "Meet The Teacher." I say "officially" because I have known his 1st grade teacher since I was in middle school!!

It was raining so Daddy dropped us off at the door. Cheney was so excited!! I was really interested to see the reaction his mohawk received. I was really unsure if we HAD to cut it or not. The dress code doesn't say anything about mohawks!! Well, I got my answer...we walked into the door & were met by his counselor, Ms. Colvin. She gave him a hug and said, "Cheney, are you enjoying your last few days with a mohawk?" Then, we walked down the hall & passed the 5th grade teachers, the 4th grade teachers, then the 3rd grade teachers...they all just stared at him...and then at us. Daddy said, "We sure are getting some dirty looks." I knew then that we have to make some changes before Monday!!

Cheney is really excited! He is going to ride the bus home on most days. He proudly put his name on the board for bus riders.


1st grade is different because he gets a DESK!! In kindergarten, everyone just sat around tables....I think he is proud to have a desk!

Cheney's 1st grade teacher is Ms. Sagebiel. Mommy went to high school with Ms. Sagebiel's daughter, Tara. She has been teaching for many years & I think Cheney will enjoy being in her class!!



Cheney will have a new GT teacher this year. Her name is Ms. Krippner. Guess what? Mommy went to high school with her daughter, Allison!! She also taught at the high school the 1st year that Mommy taught there. Cheney will go to GT classes once a week. He is going to have FUN!!

STAY TUNED FOR PICTURES OF THE 1ST DAY OF SCHOOL!! I WILL TRY HARD NOT TO CRY...after I pulled into the driveway from "Meet the Teacher" I was crying tonight!! I am crying right now!! Good grief...now I understand why my mom wouldn't leave the classroom on the 1st day of school when I was growing up...and I thought she was sooooo weird!!

8 comments:

Tammy said...

Gosh you're growing up so fast Cheney!!!! I've loved watching you grow from a baby into a 1st grader though!

Hannah said...

Wow Cheney it looks like your gonna have a really great year, you have two really great teachers and I bet you are a very smart boy! I remember going into my Freshman year and having a great speech teacher (that was your mom)!

Sorry it took so long to respond but yes of course I remember you.

Krystyn @ Really, Are You Serious? said...

Fun times! Looks like he's really going to enjoy himself.

I love my GT classes in school. I'm sure he'll love that he has his own class that is different once a week.

And, make sure to take pictures of the mow hawk's ending.

Thatcher's Mommy said...

Guess what, Cheney... I had Mrs. Krippner in school, too. TWICE! (not because I was THAT dumb, but she taught Freshman and Senior English.) You'll like her funny accent. I can't believe your growing up so fast, boy! Take pictures of "bye-bye Mohawk!"

Unknown said...

You're making me teary just reading this Lisa. That is so sweet. Isn't it funny how happy kids are to grow up and how sad we get that they grow up so fast. I love looking at those pics! I sort of miss those school days, both for myself and also when I'd go with Mark and his kids.

What does Cheney think about losing the mohawk. LOL, it's pretty cool.

MeMe said...

MeMe is sitting here bawling right now. How time flies by. Thanks for the reminders of Mommy's first days in school. She was SO incedibly anxious for me to leave!!
I never understood how Mom's were so ready for school to start. I always wanted the summer to last.
Have a great first grade with your awesome teachers. Nice to live in a small town.

Anonymous said...

Cheney will LOVE Mrs. Krippner she works at Wienert too and she was one of Maggie's favorite teachers when I showed Maggie Mrs Krippner was at Jefferson too she got very excited!!

Gram said...

Wow, Cheney. It is hard living in a small town. Laura went to school with each of your teacher's children, too. (Different kids to those your Mommy went to school with.) We also had experience with Mrs. Krippner as a teacher---awesome!